Friday, September 24, 2010

FINALLY

Okay, so I have not been slacking...I have been making a pillow for my friend Shawna. It was her 30th birthday and I wanted to make her something. But since I am new at the sewing thing...my options were limited. I saw this pillow online and thought it was very cute. Now, I definitely changed it up and it did not look exactly like this but I think that is the fun part about creating something original. Jake did bring it to my attention that a pillow is a random present and it will probably get little use...yes but oh well.

(I apologize for the photos...they were taken on my phone because I was so into the project I must have forgotten to get the actual camera out...so sorry)

Another things...I should start by saying that I got the information from Elizabeth Hartman with Sew, Mama Sew!

Here is what I did:

First I created these little flowers which apparently are called YoYo's...If you can learn to create these, you can use them for a lot of things.



I created 25 of these YoYos in 2 different fabrics. The dark fabric was thinker and harder to pull the thread through making the centers not as tight as the light colored Yoyo. So 25 I did...and then I hand sewed all of them together... (they are sitting on another pillow, the polka dots is not the background of the completed pillow)



After I completed this, my mom suggested adding buttons. I have a lot so I went through and found some cute buttons that would jazz up the YoYos. This my friends, was not an easy task. All buttons are not created equal and some are on there very tight and some are not. Adding the buttons definitely made this a non-functional pillow and now can sit on a chair in the back of the room. But it definitely gave it more depth and added interest to the pillow.



Next it was time to sew it all together. I knew that with the buttons and the backing fabric we were going to have to change the shape a little bit to make it a stronger pillow. I went to my sewing guru Anne and she hooked me up! Not only did I learn to do an envelope backing with a tie but I also learned to do ties and piping (a little). After a long night of sewing we completed the project and it turned out very cute. (again, sorry for the poor photos)



So, once completed, I sent off to the birthday girl. Yea!!

Stay tuned...today I am sewing a couple more presents for people so I will update you on Monday. Have a great weekend!